Qualifications of Dr. Sumit Anand
- University of Cambridge
- University of Virginia Medical Center
- United Medical and Dental Schools of Guy's and St. Thomas' Hospitals, University of London, London, United Kingdom
- University College London (University of London, UK) to study the history of Medicine (between preclinical and clinical medical school training)
- University of Cambridge (Residency - 1 1/2 years)
- University of Virginia (Residency - 4 years)
- University of Virginia Institute of Law, Psychiatry and Public Policy; School of Medicine and Law (Fellowship in Forensic Psychiatry)
- Northern Virginia Health Institute
- Clinical Assistant Professor of Psychiatry at George Washington University; School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry, Washington DC
- Anxiety Disorders
- Mood Disorders
- Family/Relationship issues
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Psychiatry - 2005
- Forensic Psychiatry - 2009
- Maintenance of Certification Examination (MOC) in Psychiatry - 2015
- American Psychiatric Association
- Washington Psychiatric Society
- International Advisory Board of the Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry
Awards and Publications
- May 2013 "Intermittent Explosive Disorder and DSM-5: A flawed conceptualization of pathological anger"
- Oct 2012 "Compulsory Treatment: Rights, Reforms and the Role of Realism" Aust N Z J Psychiatry 2013
- May 2011 “From Manual to Bible: The Questionable Hegemony of DSM IV " Aust. N Z J Psychiatry; 2011 (May) 45 (5) 348-50
- Aug 2008 "Ten Tips for Parenting your Teen" Xlibris Publishing Corp. Philadelphia, PA
- Oct 2007 "It's not just Anger...it's Bipolar" Acta Neuropsychiatrica 2007; 19 (5) 325-326 (2)
- Apr 2007 "Dearth of an Axis" Psychiatry 2007; 4 (4):20-21
- Apr 2006 "Legal v Clinical": An overview of forensic legal concepts River Park Hospital 'Lunch and Learn'
- Apr 2005 "Not Just Another Borderline": The psychopathology of self-harm River Park Hospital 'Lunch and Learn'
- Jul 2004 "Dimensional Models of Personality Functioning and Pathology" River Park Hospital 'Lunch and Learn'
Thank you for choosing Dr. Anand's practice.
His is a small, evening and weekend only-based solo private practice that is focused on individualized, whole person psychiatric care, and not just medication management. Dr.Anand does not accept insurance as he believes that insurance-driven paperwork demands tend to detract from a proper and thorough focus on the patient and his/her needs.
Dr. Anand has over twenty years of clinical experience (including residency training) in psychiatry. He trained in psychiatry both in the United Kingdom (University of Cambridge) as well as in the United States (University of Virginia Medical Center). Dr. Anand is also ’board certified’ in psychiatry and forensic psychiatry by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology.
Dr. Anand has specific clinical experience in anxiety disorders, anger problems, and individual psychotherapy. In fact, he both believes in, and regularly practices, combined medication management and individual psychotherapy--an ideal which has been recommended for long term improvement in patient outcomes.
Dr. Anand's practice accepts payment via all major credit cards, cash or check.